Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Survival Mode

Last week my husband came home sniffly and sneezy. Normally I don't get sick, as being a nurse I've been exposed to most illnesses and have a better immune system than most. It seems like the beginning of every spring I get a cold though. This time is no exception. It started Sunday with a cough and some nasal drip. By Monday I was fatigued, full of mucus, and my eyes were dripping like a faucet. Sawyer goes to daycare every Monday so I pretty much slept. All day. I keep him Tuesday and Wednesday though, and we don't have the kind of daycare where we can bring him last minute, nor the type of family that I can just dump him on spur of the moment. So for the last couple days we have just been surviving. I haven't changed out of my PJs, brushed my hair or put on makeup. The TV has been my babysitter as much as it make me feel like a horrible mom to say that, I just haven't had the energy to entertain a toddler. I keep telling myself I will make up for it when i'm well. I'm guessing a couple days of watching TV longer than the AAP recommends probably wont damage him as an adult. I hope. However, if down the road he gets diagnosed with ADHD I will know I'm to blame. Meanwhile my house is a disaster. My husband does a fairly good job of keeping up with the laundry, and keeping the dishes clean. There are some strange things I noticed today though. Him and my son hang out in the basement to give me some peace and rest while he is home. Right now there are about 7 blankets on the basement floor. My husband likes to lay a blanket out for Sawyer to play on, no matter what room they are in. Then along the way he will usually grab a blanket for him to cover up with. Then he might grab one for Sawyer to cover up with. Then maybe Sawyer dumps milk on one, and then instead of throwing it in the laundry he tosses it to the side, and grabs another one. Even under these circumstances this only equals 4 blankets so I have no idea why there are SEVEN! Also, the top of our Christmas tree is in the laundry basket in the laundry room.................................I have no reasonable explanation for this. My excercise and diet plan has been derailed this week. Which has me anxious. I would really like to lose some weight before Summer, I know, wouldn't we all. I just have to keep telling myself I will get back on the train when I feel better, and I still have time! Well, heres to hoping I feel better tomorrow because it's back to work for me tomorrow night. And if I don't feel better.....................it's going to be a long night.

2 comments:

  1. Being sick sucks...especially when you have a little one to watch.
    I'm a nurse too and I used to think that I would have had the immune system of Chuck Norris...you know...indestructable...but I didn't. I also was working in a Pediatric ER...soooooo...their were germs everywhere.
    Snotty coughing kids ::shudder::

    Kimberly (http://makemommygosomethingsomething.com)

    ReplyDelete